When finding the age of an organic organism we need to consider the half-life of carbon 14 as well as the rate of decay, which is –0.693.For example, say a fossil is found that has 35% carbon 14 compared to the living sample. We can use a formula for carbon 14 dating to find the answer.
Where t is the age of the fossil (or the date of death) and ln() is the natural logarithm function.
If the fossil has 35% of its carbon 14 still, then we can substitute values into our equation.
Suppose the clay is in a pipe and as the kerosene flows through the pipe, every foot of clay removes 20% of the pollutants, leaving 80%.
If feet of pipe can be represented by the following equation: Suppose that the pollutants must be reduced to 10% in order for the kerosene to be used for jet fuel.
Radiocarbon dating can be used on samples of bone, cloth, wood and plant fibers.
The half-life of a radioactive isotope describes the amount of time that it takes half of the isotope in a sample to decay.
In the case of radiocarbon dating, the half-life of carbon 14 is 5,730 years.
This half life is a relatively small number, which means that carbon 14 dating is not particularly helpful for very recent deaths and deaths more than 50,000 years ago.
So, the fossil is 8,680 years old, meaning the living organism died 8,680 years ago.